Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Election Fever

It never happens before. Never have I had or known some friends who are running for parliament members. It tells something about my social setting, doesn’t it? ;-) But here (in Papua) is different. I happen to personally know some caleg (calon legislatif).

It amazes me. These friends are not big businessmen or high profile public figures. They are the guy or the woman next door. They are just the “ordinary” people. Most of them are running for local parliament members here in Sorong. Perhaps they are just trying their luck? But perhaps they really have ideas what to do for their voters. Or perhaps, it is actually money and power that lure them to enter the arena. But yeah so? Most of those big guys who call themselves professional politicians are also doing nothing but pursuing money and power. Moreover, they do it shamelessly.

Here, it is easy to spot members of parliament. They dress differently. They behavior are also different. They probably do that consciously to distinguish themselves from others. You can find them easily in the airports because they often travel. Sometimes they even rent an aircraft. It had caused me some troubles the other day. In Jakarta, we don’t give a s*** about them, do we?

Nonetheless, regardless of their true motivation, it is fair to say that here politics is no longer the exclusive game for the elites only. But as much as I dislike the politicians, I don’t think we should ignore them and thus let them rule our lives according to their liking. Imagine if they make unreasonable, outrageous laws that will adversely affect our lives. Who do they think they are? It’s either we watch them carefully or we join in. It is the very reason why I told Rahel and Eta, my Papuan friends here in Sorong, to start thinking about running for parliament. You cannot not care.

I would love to see more intelligent Papuan women run for parliaments or head of regency or head of districts. Psst, some people suggested me to also run for member of local parliament here in Sorong. I'm sure they're joking ;-) ...

3 comments:

Iwan K said...

lian, i support you with my heard.

Iwan K said...

my heart, dear.

Dprabo said...

Yes, you should run for office Li -- it'd be good for Papua. Just remember when the young Caesar (Octavian) came back to Rome after defeating Marc Anthony and claimed that he did what he did in the interest of the Republic, Cicero's comment was "Everyone said that when they were young. In the end it was all vanity.."