Thursday, November 30, 2006

Know Your Status!

That's what he said in that campaign. "I know my status, what about you?", he challenged the audience. Yes, Rodrick knew his status long time ago. He has been living with HIV for 16 years. That status has changed his life forever. It wasn't easy in the beginning as he admitted. Definitely not. It took him years before finally accepted his status. He made peace with life 6 years ago.

RodrickKnowing our status i.e. whether or not we have HIV/AIDS is certainly a frightening, heart-wrecking thing to do. But living with HIV/AIDS without knowing it is far more terrifying. We could endanger our loved ones. And I guess the most terrifying thing of all is to let others know that we have HIV/AIDS. Rodrick has been through all those stages. He even takes thing further by deliberately telling people everywhere about his status in order to help them. He is now actively involved in Treatment Action Campaign, or known as TAC, an organisation that raises awareness and helps people with HIV/AIDS to get proper treatment.

Rodrick is the first HIV positive person I have ever met. I did not expect to see someone like him. He was nothing close to what I imagined how someone with HIV/AIDS should have looked like. He is so full of life and so fun to be with. He is also an excellent public speaker! Though sometimes he gets annoyed quite easily ;-). Rodrick shows me that HIV or AIDS should not stop someone from living a normal life or enjoying things that life offers. He loves dancing. He likes partying. He took us to some parties. We chilled out in Long Street, Capetown. He also cooked for us when Marina and Gladman, my beloved host family, threw a party. He does get tired quite easily but he certainly knows how to enjoy life. He wants to come to Indonesia. Someday, Rodrick! In short, he's living a normal life.

I am sure there are stages in life that one has to go through before accepting things that they cannot change. Those stages can be very difficult. And, those difficult, trying stages can be very long. Life may not be the same again but it is not the end of the world. I know this is easier said than done. But perhaps, like other kind of hardship in life, it would give us a chance to grow stronger and wiser. Perhaps it would also inspire others like what Rodrick has done to many and certainly to me. Dankie baia, Rodrick!

1 December 2006 is AIDS' day

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Sungguh mulia ...

Unknown said...

I was so excited to see this. I stayed with Portia and Ronald from Marina and Gladman's church when I was there. I also met Roderick. Do you have contact information on them? None of my contact information seems to be current.

Thanks,
Jessica

Oh, if you need, I could give you my email address.

reslian said...

Hi Jessica ... glad you dropped by. You must have enjoyed your time there. I did. And yes, i have their emails ... you can contact rodrick at rodrick@tac.org and marina at cking@cozahost.com.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a ton. Yes, I did really enjoy my time there.