Sunday, November 26, 2006

Samora Woman

Samora Woman_1

It was one afternoon in Samora, a township in Western Cape, South Africa. I was sitting, waiting for the TB & HIV/AIDS campaign to start when this lady with her long, bright, pink skirt caught my eyes. Samora is a place for black South African. It's less than half an hour drive from Capetown. Apartheid has long gone but surprisingly people are still flocking based on their colours. Certain areas are dominated by white people and others are dominated by either black or coloured people. I hate using this term but you cannot help it when you are in South Africa. Somehow colours seem still matter to them. But I guess this area segregation is mostly due to the economy conditions and the land/property prices. Many black people could not afford houses in expensive areas. So, Samora is a "black area". And, you don't just go and wander around in areas like that. It is not safe, so I was told. I wasn't really afraid but Rodrick, that loving HIV/AIDS activist, watched over my back closely while we were there. He never let me off his sight. Well, it is always wise to listen to the locals, isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aih kontrast sekali warna shocking pink nya .. btw dah liat koleksi poto2 gw blom? ni disini http://bonaray.fotografer.net/ ...