Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Being-Thrown of Ayn Rand

I was quite startled to find out that a 1991-polling placed Atlas Shrugged as "the second-most influential book (after the Bible) for Americans". Atlas Shrugged is one of Ayn Rand’s novels. Seriously? Are Americans that capitalistic, individualistic?

Ayn Rand is not an economist but with her philosophy which she calls objectivism, she is described by one
article as "the modern fountainhead of laissez-faire capitalism.” She is also described “as an impassioned, uncompromising, and unapologetic proponent of reason, liberty, individualism, and rational self-interest."

She fervently criticizes altruism. For her, the highest form of happiness is fulfilling one's own dreams, not someone else's – or the public's. She sees man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.

It is usually very easy to attack too-radical-thoughts. I am not going over details about her philosophy for I have not read much of her books. But perhaps by reading her books (mostly novels) we could understand Americans much better (a smiley sign here). I seldom heard her thoughts being discussed here in STF Driyarkara or in Indonesia. Perhaps they don’t regard her as an important philosopher as the Americans do.

I have not read Atlas Shrugged though I have the book at home. I also have The Fountainhead. My friend Dede has given me those books ages ago. He even gave me The Fountainhead twice because he forgot that he actually has already given me that book once. I must have looked like I desperately needed to read the book. Do I look like an “objectivist”? Or do I look like a lost capitalist who needs to repent?

But I have read Anthem, Rand’s other novel. In that book, she criticizes communalism, totalitarianism, and at the same time passionately promotes individualism. However, I find that her criticism is rather too extreme. She is overdoing it. Perhaps it has got something to do with her life experience. She was a Russian native who ran away to the States years ago when Russia / USSR was still very much a communistic country. Her extreme reaction against communism, totalitarianism and her strong beliefs in individualism are therefore understandable.

Don’t we all always think or philosophize from our situatedness, our being-thrown-in-the-world? This is how I perceive later Heidegger as a rather too-extreme “correction” to early Heidegger after the Nazi event. But does it mean we are always determined by our situatedness? What does this determination mean if so?

4 comments:

Dewi Susanti said...

Hi Mbak Lian (I found your blog after you told me about your post today! - why didn't you tell me you're a blogger too?),

I couldn't link to the article you pointed out, so I don't know how the author argued about Ayn Rand as proponent of laissez-faire capitalism. But having read both "Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged", I can't make the connection with the claim.

I agree with you that Rand is a strong proponent of individualism because of her own "situatedness". I do think we are the way we are, we think the way we are, we behave the way we are, because of this "situatedness".

I can't stand "Atlas Shrugged" as Rand's propaganda against collectivism was too much for me to handle. But I enjoyed reading "Fountainhead" a lot (I did twice!), as it strikes a chord in my "situatedness" as a trained architect. So if you have a chance (maybe in Sorong), you should read it :)

reslian said...

Hi Dewi ...

I believe we are all affected by our situatedness ... but to what extent we are affected is an interesting thing to find out.
I'm always curious about determinism. Maybe my curiousity is due to my own situatedness ;-) ...

Anyway, I haven't read Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead. You read Fountainhead twice?? Wow ... gotta read it then. Okay will do it in Sorong ;-)...

Dprabo said...

Hey, just found this post today. No you didn't look desperate, objectivist, or lost at all, my dear. I gave you the books because I wanted to share the thrill. I liked the way she built the story and plot, plus those unusual characters with extreme ideas. Why is she so influential? I heard many Americans read Atlas when they were in highschool, sort of part of growing-up experience, like reading Jack Kerouac or J.D. Sallinger, maybe. They usually outgrow Rand's ideas when they go to college or work. Perhaps that's why she's never part of the mainstream philosophers, although there are also people who think seriously of her ideas. Like Alan Greenspan, one of her faithful disciples. People say to interpret Greenspan thoughts one needs to understand Ayn Rand.

As for her "situatedness" (you guys really like made-up words like this, don't you), I think her novel "We the Living" explains the "where she came from"-ness the best. Hope you will find time to read it, too. After you finished the two Fountainheads, that is :)

reslian said...

"No you didn't look desperate, objectivist, or lost at all, my dear."

phew ... what a relief ;-)

"I heard many Americans read Atlas when they were in highschool, sort of part of growing-up experience, like reading Jack Kerouac or J.D. Sallinger, maybe. They usually outgrow Rand's ideas when they go to college or work."

hm ... that explains. they grow up, they see and think more and say ... "ah, that's too naive!" just kidding ... i cant say much about ayn rand for i only read 1 of her books so far. will have some more to say later.

"As for her "situatedness" (you guys really like made-up words like this, don't you),.."

thanks to Heidegger ;-))

"I think her novel "We the Living" explains the "where she came from"-ness the best. Hope you will find time to read it, too. After you finished the two Fountainheads, that is :)"

fountainheads would be on my top list .. my friend, dewi, has read it twice! i'll read it in sorong ;-) ..